Each winter, snowfall makes for treacherous road conditions and an increased risk for car accidents. As our car accident attorneys know, traffic accident statistics always increase in the winter months, so if you live in a cold-weather state, you will need to be prepared for it.
Avoiding Car Accidents When Driving Through The Snow
Since snow is one of the top causes of car accidents, it is important that you know how to drive your vehicle when the roads are covered in white powdery fluff. Here are six tips to help you arrive home safely while driving during the snow:
1. Whenever Possible, Do Not Drive In the Snow. Only drive in snow when you cannot avoid it. This is the best way to avoid a car accident.
2. Upgrade With Either Tire Chains or Snow Tires. This is something that you will need to take care of ahead of time. If you live in state in which snow is a possibility or are planning a trip to one that does, upgrading your tires should be a priority before the season starts.
3. Increase Your Visibility. You will need to be more alert than you might normally be in good weather as you will also need to be on the look-out for other potential car accidents.
- Be sure to clear snow off all your windows and your roof before beginning your trip. You will need a special ice scraper to properly clean off not just your windshield but all windows around your car.
- It would be prudent to make sure that you have plenty of windshield wiper fluid and wipers that are in good condition.
4. Drive Extra Slow. Since driving in the snow causes more slips and skids than normal roadway conditions, you will need to be extra careful to avoid car accidents.
5. Should You Start To Skid, Remain Calm And Steer Your Car Into It. Release your brake and honk your horn to alert other drivers’ attention. This may allow them time to get out of your way and help you avoid a potential car accident because of lack of control.
6. Be Especially Careful of Black Ice. Black ice is like invisible ice. Black ice that looks exactly like the surface your car is traveling on, but while you may think you are driving over an asphalt surface, you are driving over a sheet of ice on the road which can easily cause your car to skid.
Thorough preparation is most of the battle against snowy conditions. If you take the proper precautions before hitting the roads during a snow storm, your chances of avoiding a car accident are that much better.
Call Our Lawyers If You’ve Been Injured From A Car Accident In The Snow
Experience often helps drivers perform better in dangerous situations. If you are new to these types of roadway conditions, we recommend that you drive slowly, maintain a safe distance between other cars and allow for extra time on your journey. Everyone remembers when the snow was fun as a kid, but it can be a hazardous when it comes to car accidents.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident that was caused by snow then call us now at 1-800-655-6585 or click here for a FREE consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer. Since 1992, our San Diego law office has been geared primarily towards auto accident claims. We know how the insurance companies work, so let our insider knowledge help you in your time of need.