Most people believe that they will never be involved in a serious car accident or suffer a debilitating injury. Unfortunately, this is not the case. In fact, thousands of people are involved in crashes every single day. Many of these crashes result in serious injuries and some of them are even fatal.
Being involved in a serious crash or suffering an injury due to another’s negligence can completely turn your life upside down. You may have even considered hiring a personal injury attorney to help you sort out the whole mess.
However, many people are uncertain and even reluctant about seeking legal counsel following an injury. If you’re one of those people, you certainly have questions about the claim process and what to expect from a personal injury attorney.
You may even be asking yourself “is it worth it to hire a personal injury lawyer?” Below, we will provide an answer to this very question and give you some invaluable guidance in your time of need.
When Would I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
There are many scenarios in which you may need to hire a personal injury lawyer. Perhaps the most common is if/when you have suffered a serious injury during a vehicle crash. Navigating the complexities of insurance claims, crash reports, and court proceedings is much easier to do with legal counsel.
When it comes to vehicle crashes, it is important to understand that insurance companies want to pay out as little as possible. At the end of the day, even the most reputable insurance companies are still running a business. If they automatically provided massive payouts for every crash that causes an injury, they would go bankrupt.
The challenges of filing a claim become yet more taxing if the at-fault driver was arrested and charged with a DUI or some other criminal act. While a personal injury lawyer would have virtually no involvement in the criminal case, they would be able to use that information to build a strong claim for damages.
Car crashes are not the only reason that you may need a personal injury attorney. If you have suffered an injury due to the negligence of another, then you may be entitled to damages. The liable “negligent” party can be a business, a private citizen, and even a government entity.
With all that being said, each case is different, so it’s a good idea to meet with a legal practitioner who can review the merits of your claim.
Can I Handle Claims on My Own?
Not every car crash warrants the use of a personal injury attorney. For example, if you were involved in a vehicle crash but sustained little to no injury, then you can likely handle the claim on your own. In fact, if you only suffered minor injuries, such as abrasions from an airbag, filing a personal injury claim with an attorney is not sensible.
Why Is It Worth It to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
There are many benefits to hiring a personal injury lawyer. The most significant is that they have experience with similar claims. While every case is unique, an attorney will be familiar with legal proceedings, insurance company tactics, and average settlement amounts. They will be able to hold the insurance company accountable to the highest extent of the law.
Partnering with a personal injury attorney is also incredibly efficient. You may not have the time to scour medical records, review law enforcement documents, or file paperwork with insurance companies. When you hire a personal injury attorney, they will do all of the heavy lifting so that you can focus on recovering.
Personal injury attorneys also have access to high-quality investigators. Filing a complex injury claim involves much more than just reviewing documents. Attorneys will take a closer look at your case to ensure that no evidence was missed during the initial investigation.
Another perk to working with a personal injury attorney is that they are objective. While this may not seem like a huge deal at first, it can make a significant impact on the outcome of your claim. You are likely frustrated about your crash, and rightfully so. While a certain level of frustration is perfectly normal, it can impede the progress of your case.
A good personal injury attorney will remain calm and collected in the midst of your anger. They will give you experienced-based feedback on any potential settlement offers and help you make a sound decision. And finally, a good personal injury lawyer will tirelessly pursue justice for you.
What About Cost?
I know what you’re thinking. All of these services have to come at a hefty price. After being involved in a major traffic crash, the last thing that you need to worry about is coming up with more money, right?
Most people are shocked to learn that personal injury lawyers generally operate on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will not owe any upfront fees. In fact, in a contingency fee arrangement, you will not owe a dime if your attorney does not win your case. If you receive a settlement, the attorney’s fees will be deduced from that amount.
Finding the Right Personal Injury Attorney
Finding the right personal injury attorney can be easy when you know the right questions to ask yourself and prospective attorneys. Below are some recommended questions & considerations from senior personal injury attorney & firm founder, Michael Pines:
- Where are the attorneys you are considering located? Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC. is in San Diego, only, while many of our competitors have offices all over. We have been local for 30+ years and our past clients in this great community appreciate that.
- When looking at reviews – consider quality vs. quantity. Fake reviews or reviews written by employees do exist. So really reading reviews and getting a sense of the quality of reviews over an extensive period is important.
- Know who is going to handle your case. Many firms have “case managers” instead of lawyers. In fact, some of these outfits will never allow an attorney to speak to the client, or they are hard to get a hold of.
- Does your prospective attorney have ample experience handling personal injury cases? As a former insurance attorney, I’ve learned from behind the scenes how insurance companies work and how they decide how much to pay injured people. That inside knowledge has resulted in significant benefits to our clients injured in car accidents and we work cases up properly so that are clients are in a position of strength to get the maximum available.
- Know your attorney’s education background. Where your prospective attorney went to school could play a role in their experience level. At Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC., all of our attorneys graduated from top rated law programs and are ABA approved.
- Does the firm charge you if there is no recovery? Our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you owe us nothing until there is a fair recovery.
- Does the firm allow a free consultation with an attorney before you hire them? At Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC., you will be able to speak to an attorney on your first call.
- Review the retainer agreement. The retainer agreement is the document between you (the client) and the law firm. Some firms may have unfair fees buried in the paperwork, so you always want to review this agreement thoroughly.
Since 1992, our personal injury attorneys at the Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC. have been fighting for the people. Now, when those injured in automobile accidents need financial help, or for the families that need to know that the loss of a loved one could have been prevented, there is a personal injury law firm in San Diego that is on their side.
If you or a family member has been injured, call the lawyers at Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC. There’s never been a better time than right now to speak to a personal injury attorney—FREE of charge. Call us at 858-551-2090 or request a free consultation online today!
SENIOR PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY & FIRM FOUNDER
Michael Pines is a former insurance company attorney who graduated from the University of California Hastings College of the Law in 1987. While he was an insurance attorney, he learned from behind the scenes how insurance companies work and how they decide how much to pay injured people. Now that he works against insurance companies, Michael’s inside knowledge has resulted in significant benefits to his clients injured in car accidents. Learn more about Michael Pines