There are thousands of serious car accident every year that are caused by improper turning, which can put a car directly in front of or into the path of an oncoming automobile. That is why the simple oversight of not looking before making a turn is one of the top causes of car accidents
and often leads to major personal injuries or traumatic deaths. From a legal standpoint, our car accident attorneys
will tell you that if you are the one who makes the wrong turn, then it will not only cause considerable grief for the families of everyone involved in the auto accident, but quite possibly could be grounds for imprisonment.
Examples of Improper Turns That Can Lead To Car Accidents
- Turning when there is a “No Turn on Red” sign at a red light.
- Turning at a stop sign or red light without coming to a complete stop or yielding to traffic or pedestrians.
- Making a left at a red light where doing so is prohibited.
- Turning without signaling, which is also called "Improper Turn Signal Use."
- Turning without having the right-of-way.
Factors Of Improper Turns That Cause Car Accidents
Knowing about the terrain or topography where the car accident occurred is important when determining the cause of a crash. Furthermore, having information that indicates if the responsible party was taking any type of medication or if they were driving drunk
could show that their ability to safely operate an automobile was impaired. In short, these indicators can help to determine if a car accident was caused by improper turning, because the physical features of the road and the abilities of a driver are always called into question when a motorist makes a turn that should not have been made in the first place. On the other hand, physical terrain and impairment are not always linked to the cause of improper turning. In order to get a driver’s license, all car drivers need to show an instructor from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) that they know how to make a proper turn. This should be common knowledge to all licensed motorists, yet many drivers get lazy, relying on their outside mirrors without looking, or make poor decisions while rushing to make a turn. No matter the cause, the outcome of improper turning is usually not good.
Tips To Avoid Car Accidents Caused By Improper Turns
- Turn in one single, smooth motion.
- Take your time and slow down. There is no need to rush, especially when making the actual turn.
- Do not let other automobile drivers intimidate you into making an unsafe turn by honking their horn or other actions. Only turn when you believe it is safe, not others.
- If it is illegal to make your intended turn at a particular spot, look to the road signs as indicators and follow them completely.
- Turn on your turn signal at least 100 feet from your intended turn.
- Always look for oncoming traffic before turning. Never make a turn without checking to make sure that you have the right-of-way and that there are no other cars for a potential car accident.
Call Our Lawyers If You've Been Injured From Improper Turning
Always remember that making the proper turn is usually very easy. Driving safely is not a difficult prospect, but laziness and poor choices can make you turn improperly, causing a serious car accident. If you take care to make sure that you are following the simple rules of the roads, then you are one step closer to arriving home safely. If you've been injured in a car accident that was caused by improper turning then call us now at 1-858-551-2090 or click here
for a FREE consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer. Since 1992, our San Diego law office
has been geared primarily towards auto accident claims. We know how the insurance companies work, so let our insider knowledge help you in your time of need.