The number of trauma and injury cases due to automotive and pedestrian injuries is on the rise. Individuals can learn how to prevent injuries and take care of themselves if an accident occurs. A little bit of education can mean the difference between having an accident and staying safe.
Trauma and Injury Prevention
The prevention of trauma and injury is an important thing. These issues cause death and serious problems that may require extensive medical care and therapy to correct. Ironically enough, cases of trauma and injury are often the cause of neglect or lack of planning. In fact, most accidents are totally preventable. Trauma effects many young people who feel they are not as susceptible to danger and may not realize how deadly everyday accidents can be. The media is quick to cover major accidents like airplane crashes, but they rarely report the automobile and trauma accidents that occur everyday. These are the most fatal types of accidents, and it’s imperative for individuals of all ages to educate themselves on how to stay protected from common injuries.
- American Trauma Society: provides news and information on preventing trauma and the care of trauma.
- The Center for Injury Research and Prevention: researches ideas relating to the prevention of childhood trauma.
- Injury Prevention: offers some basic tips on preventing injuries.
- UNC Injury Prevention Research Center: researches ways of preventing different types of trauma.
- Injury Prevention & Research Center: focuses on ways of preventing injury as a way of helping people in their lives.
- Personal Injury Lawyer: those who have been involved in a serious traumatic accident may have to hire an attorney to help pay for medical fees.
- Traumatic Brain Injury Facts: statistics on the causes and consequences of traumatic brain injuries.
- Injury Prevention Guide; injury prevention tips and ways to start injury prevention groups.
Pre-hospital Care and Emergency Medicine
When a person becomes injured, everyone involved should stay calm and seek medical attention as soon as possible. In the case of back injury or a head injury, the person shouldn’t move but sit and wait for help to arrive. Those with a sprain or break can apply ice to the affected area on the way to the hospital.
- University of Rochester Medical Center: provides information on treating and preventing different types of trauma including fires and accidents.
- Common Health Problems: helps individuals identify different types of conditions and determine whether or not they need medical help.
- Getting Emergency Care: FAQs on when to call an ambulence and how to get urgent care.
- EMS Resources: list of great EMS-related resources.
- Prehospital Care Simulator: an emergency situation simulator for EMTs, nurses and paramedics.
- Fire/EMS/Safety Center: training and education resources for first responders.
- National Collegiate EMS Foundation: site devoted to EMS resources and training information.
Trauma and injury are some of the leading causes of death in children. The leading type of accident is a car accident. Experts recommend that parents use car seats or booster seats at all times, keep children in the backseat and follow all the instructions found in the seats. They also recommend that kids wear the proper safety gear when biking or using scooters to reduce the chances of injury.
- Accident Statistics: gives statistics on childhood accidental injuries.
- Child Injury Statistics: offers statistics on car accidents and other types of accident involving children.
- World Report on Child Injury Prevention: study done by the World Health Organization on preventing and reducing childhood injuries.
- Safe Kids: provides tips on reducing injuries that may cause death in children.
- Childhood Injury Prevention: focuses on ways of reducing childhood injuries such as always using a seatbelt.
It’s not always possible to prevent accidents, but taking proper care following an accident can reduce the chances of the injury becoming more serious. This is especially important in cases of children as even a minor injury can cause more serious problems. The only thing a person can do is learn more about preventing the more common types of accidents and injuries.