A total of 198 fatalities occurred in accidents involving emergency vehicles during the year 2021. The highest number of fatalities, totaling 135, were attributed to accidents involving police vehicles, followed by ambulances with 39 deaths, and fire trucks with 24 deaths.
Among these deaths involving emergency vehicle crashes, the largest proportion, comprising 56%, were occupants of non-emergency vehicles. Deaths among pedestrians constituted an additional 25%, while emergency vehicle drivers made up 15%, and emergency vehicle passengers accounted for approximately 3% of the total fatalities.
- 56% of these deaths were occupants of non-emergency vehicles
- Deaths among pedestrians accounted for another 25%
- Emergency vehicle drivers represented 15% of deaths
- Emergency vehicle passengers accounted for about 3% of the deaths
- The majority of fatalities from emergency vehicle crashes involve police vehicles
- When an ambulance responds to an emergency call without using lights and sirens, the crash rate is 4.6 per 100,000 responses. The crash rate increases to 5.5 when lights and sirens are used. The increase in risk is even greater when the ambulance is transporting a victim. The crash risk without lights and sirens is 7.0 per 100,000 transports, and increases to 16.5 when lights and sirens are used throughout the transport.
Total Emergency Vehicle Crash Fatalities By Type (2010 – 2021)
|Year||Police Vehicle||Ambulance||Fire Truck|
Since 1992, our personal injury attorneys at the Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC. have been fighting for the people of San Diego. Now, when those injured in automobile accidents – including car, truck, and motorcycle accidents – need financial help, or for the families that need to know that the loss of a loved one could have been prevented, there is a personal injury law firm in San Diego that is on their side. If you or a family member has been injured, call the lawyers at Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC. There’s never been a better time than right now to speak to a personal injury attorney—FREE of charge. Call us at 858-551-2090 or request a free consultation online today!
SENIOR PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY & FIRM FOUNDER
Michael Pines is a former insurance company attorney who graduated from the University of California Hastings College of the Law in 1987. While he was an insurance attorney, he learned from behind the scenes how insurance companies work and how they decide how much to pay injured people. Now that he works against insurance companies, Michael’s inside knowledge has resulted in significant benefits to his clients injured in car accidents. Learn more about Michael Pines