Semi-truck accidents are tragic events that can deeply affect families – and if you need guidance during this time, we can help.
Semi-trucks are a daily part of our California commute. They are found on every freeway across San Diego and they serve an important role in our everyday way of life. Most people don’t spend time thinking about semi-trucks, but if you’ve been recently injured by one, it might be all you think about.
Sadly, semi-truck accidents can cause severe, catastrophic injury given their large size and heavy weight. Some accidents can also lead to wrongful death. Semi-truck accidents are tragic events that can deeply affect families – and if you need guidance during this time, we can help.
The semi-truck accident lawyers at Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC are nationally-recognized industry leaders with a track record of success in cases just like yours. We are the legal experts that San Diego turns to when injured people need help. Call us today 24/7 at 1-858-551-2090 and speak to a semi-truck accident lawyer for a personal, confidential and free consultation.
CAUSES OF SAN DIEGO SEMI-TRUCK ACCIDENTS
Similar to motor vehicle accidents, semi-truck accidents can occur in the same fashion. There are some differences, however, given the size and weight of a big rig truck. Common causes of semi-truck accidents include:
Although San Diego is known for terrific, year-round weather, we do get the occasional bout of rain. When rain occurs, many San Diego drivers – including semi-truck drivers – can quickly lose control over fast-moving and possibly hydroplaning vehicles. A semi-truck, given its considerable weight, can quickly slide into the vehicle ahead. Or, a semi-truck may completely slip off the roadway due to slick streets and freeways. When this happens, the semi can crash into vehicles along its trajectory off the road.
Fog can cause a semi-truck driver to underestimate distances ahead. When the wrong estimations are made due to driver error, mistakes can lead to car accidents in the event of emergency braking. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), loaded tractor-trailers need an additional 20 to 40 percent more time and distance to perform a brake than an average motor vehicle. If the driver is unable to see ahead due to fog or other hazards, the implications can be even more serious.
There’s no doubt that hours and hours of driving can lead to driver fatigue and drowsiness. Truck drivers must face the road day in and day out—and coupled with fatigue—accidents can easily happen. Fatigue can also cause the driver to react too slowly to oncoming changes on the road. For instance, if the truck driver must suddenly stop, fatigue can cause a delayed reaction resulting in an unwanted accident.
When a truck is overloaded, the extra weight can cause the driver to lose control over their vehicle. Most often, the loss of control occurs when stopping suddenly or making a turn. This can often result in “jack-knifing” or rear-end semi-truck accidents. It goes without saying that any driver should be cautious around a big-rig truck. Avoid semis, if possible. If an accident injury does occur, seek medical care right away and speak to a lawyer who can help.
COMMON INJURIES IN SEMI-TRUCK ACCIDENTS
Some of the most catastrophic injuries occur in semi-truck accidents due to the sheer size and weight of the big rig vehicles. Common forms of personal injury reported after semi-truck accidents include:
- INTERNAL BODILY INJURY. Catastrophic injuries such as lacerations, broken bones or organ damage are tragically common following a semi-truck accident. Physical disability, disfigurement, permanent scarring and psychological trauma can also ensue after a big rig accident.
- WHIPLASH INJURY. The high impact of a rear-end accident involving a big rig is no match against a fragile neck. Muscles, vertebrae and ligaments in the neck can easily become damaged following a semi-truck accident.
- SPINAL CORD INJURY. Similar to neck damage, the spinal cord is just as fragile and can be damaged in the event of a semi-truck traffic accident. Some spinal cord injuries may result in paralysis.
- TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY. A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is damage to the brain that can lead to lifelong complications such as loss of function and impact to an individual’s cognition.
MEDICAL TREATMENT RESOURCES
If you have been injured in a semi-truck accident, we can help you get the medical treatment you need and deserve. Right now, getting better is one of the most important things you can do to get your life back on track.
NO HEALTH INSURANCE
If you do not have health insurance, we may be able to locate resources for you. Call us at 1-858-551-2090 and speak to an attorney for more information. In the meantime, you may also access the Department of Managed Healthcare to find out more on how to get the coverage you need depending on your circumstance.
FINDING THE RIGHT DOCTOR
If you have health insurance, contact them to find out how to find a specialty doctor in your area. Many health insurance companies have online databases of doctors that can help. If you need a more specialized search of available doctors, try logging onto WebMD to find a doctor in your area.
California residents may be able to find appropriate health care under the Covered California health care act. Many residents may qualify for free or low-cost health insurance using the exchange at Covered California.
GET THE LEGAL HELP YOU NEED NOW
If you have been injured in a car accident by the wrongdoing of a semi-truck driver, you need legal help now. Filing a claim against the responsible party can be complex, but a good lawyer will help you every step of the way. When you hire a personal injury lawyer at our firm, you can expect:
- NO FEES UNLESS WE WIN. We won’t charge you anything unless we win your case. Even our consultation is absolutely free. There is no stress when you hire us. In fact, we help eliminate added stress from the situation by handling the legal aspects of your case.
- FREQUENT COMMUNICATION WITH OUR SEMI-TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYERS. You will not be treated like a number at our firm. If we take your case, you will be in frequent communication with one of San Diego’s best personal injury lawyers. You’ll be aware of the status of your case and we’ll always be accessible to answer any questions you may have along the way.
- MAXIMUM COMPENSATION FOR YOUR INJURIES IF WE WIN YOUR CASE. You deserve maximum compensation for your injuries and our lawyers will make sure no stone is unturned throughout your case. If we win your claim, you will be entitled to the maximum financial outcome. Medical bills, lost wages, and any pain and suffering will all be accounted for in our claim against the insurance companies, ensuring the best possible outcome for your personal injury case.
Call us today at 1-858-551-2090 and speak to a San Diego personal injury lawyer specializing in semi-truck accidents. Get all of your questions answered today and schedule a time to meet with our attorneys. You only get one chance at justice, so make it count—call San Diego’s most trusted law group today or email us now.