Health insurance has become more difficult to get nowadays recently. People losing their jobs and high insurance costs are part of a growing problem of Americans who do not have health insurance in the event of personal injury.
This firm’s San Diego personal injury attorneys know the rising difficulties in health insurance make it hard for Americans to pay high medical bills from personal injury. If you are fortunate enough to be able to get insurance, it is important to know how you are covered when personal injury happens.
Insurance contracts can be difficult to read and understand, but there are important points about your insurance coverage consumers should know:
- Start by making sure you have the full plan explanation, or the certificate of coverage. It may be tough to read, but summaries can be misleading.
- Closely check your out-of-pocket maximum, which represents the most you should have to pay for care in a given year.
- Some insurers are putting the responsibility on consumers to track their own costs.
- Pay attention to the terms of your deductible.
- Be sure to check how your plan handles doctors who do not participate in your insurer’s network.
- Watch out for excluded benefits and coverage caps, including lifetime and annual limits on payouts. Some plans pay only a set fee per day of a hospital stay.
Knowing the limits of your health insurance can prevent high medical bill costs in case of personal injury. For instance, car accidents can cause personal injury like whiplash, spinal cord injury leading to paralysis (i.e. paraplegia and quadriplegia) and traumatic brain injury like concussions.
The medical surgeries and drugs to treat or cure these personal injuries can be very expensive, and can lead to thousands of dollars in medical bills if your insurance does not cover treatments.
Our personal injury lawyers in San Diego know the importance of health insurance for all Americans before personal injury occurs. Having proper health insurance before personal injury happens can make the cost of medical bills less when personal injury occurs.
Please contact us for a FREE CONSULTATION with an experienced personal injury lawyer — in either English or Spanish — at (800) 655-6585 or click here to submit your case for a Free Review.