To pay for an overhaul of the United State’s healthcare system, Senators from all states have formally laid out proposals for new taxes on everything from employer-sponsored healthcare benefits and nonprofit hospitals to alcohol and sugary drinks, which is sweet news for patients who need help paying their medical bills.

Being personal injury attorneys in San Diego, we believe that if you get in a car accident and physical disabilities or immense amounts of pain and suffering, the last thing you want to add to your emotional trauma is how you are going to get help to pay the medical bills.

The answer for financing nationalized healthcare and cutting the cost of medical bills could come from the bottle of soda you are drinking out of right now.  Current healthcare experts say the government has little choice but to impose some type of tax on the benefits if it wants to finance the overhaul, which is expected to cost $1.2 trillion over 10 years.

A Senate committee is proposing to increase the tax on alcohol, and eliminate the current tax variances between beer, wine and alcohol.  The committee also proposed adjusting the first federal tax on sugary beverages, including soft drinks, fruit and vegetable drinks, energy and sports drinks, iced teas, iced coffees, flavored milk and dairy drinks.

And supposedly, the money from those taxes will go to help pay your medical bills including the next time one experiences a personal injury.

Our firm’s San Diego personal injury attorneys believe that the government should have a firm and reliable plan in place for national healthcare so that citizens with personal injuries do not have to worry about the cost of medical bills.  We are not expressing a position on this plan, but say that until the blueprint is in place, crack open another bottle of your refreshing beverage.

Call us now or click here for a FREE CONSULTATION with an experienced personal injury attorney as to how we may help you at 1-858-551-2090.  We look forward to providing good advice to help you make smart decisions about your case in either English or Spanish.