Our car accident lawyers try to educate as many people as possible about the dangers they face when driving. Sometimes, though, we need to talk about auto accidents that happen when people are not driving.
That is because nearly a million people are injured each year in car accidents — without even driving!
Read that last sentence again.
The U.S. Department of Transportation has found that about 841,000 people are injured each year in automobile accidents that have nothing to do with driving, according to a report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released last month on car accident statistics.
The NHTSA report also estimates that 1,747 fatal car accidents also occur without even driving.
Here are the NHTSA estimates of non-driving car accident statistics:
- Injured by Closing Door ——————– 148,000
- Fall Against Car —————————— 140,000
- Overexertion ——————————— 88,000
- Struck by Car Part ————————— 74,000
- Cut by Part of Car —————————- 68,000
- Boarding or Aligning Injuries ————–44,000
- Struck by Other Product (cargo) ———- 20,000
- Hoist/Tire Jack Accident ——————- 10,000
- Radiator/Antifreeze Burns —————– 9,000
- Car Fire —————————————- 3,000
- Muffler/Exhaust Burns ———————- 3,000
- Closing of Car Window ———————– 2,000
- Carbon Monoxide from Exhaust ———– 2,000
- Tire Explosion ——————————– 1,000
- Battery Acid Burn —————————- 1,000
- Excessive Heat (Hyperthermia) in Car — <1,000
We hope that you understand that car accidents do not always occur while you are driving. This blog has often written of drunk-driving (DUI) accidents and wrongful death accidents that occur because of driver mistakes or inattentiveness and other miscellaneous car crashes, but we do not often write about the dangers of merely getting in and out of your car. Take heed of these warnings, even if they seem trivial.
Remember, the car accident statistics do not lie.
Please feel free to call us now at 1-858-551-2090 or you can click here for a free consultation with an experienced car accident attorney. We have a large bilingual staff that can assist you in either English or Spanish. No fee if no recovery.
SENIOR PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY & FIRM FOUNDER
Michael Pines is a former insurance company attorney who graduated from the University of California Hastings College of the Law in 1987. While he was an insurance attorney, he learned from behind the scenes how insurance companies work and how they decide how much to pay injured people. Now that he works against insurance companies, Michael’s inside knowledge has resulted in significant benefits to his clients injured in car accidents. Learn more about Michael Pines