Our spinal cord injury lawyers have represented countless individuals affected by bulging discs and we can help you, too. Read on to find out more about bulging discs and what you can do to secure all of your legal rights.
WHAT IS A BULGING DISC?
A bulging disc is a spinal cord injury which occurs in the neck (cervical), thoracic (mid back) or low back (lumbar). As the name suggests, the spinal disc bulges through a crevice in the spine. Spinal discs are composed of a soft, round, and jelly-like material that cushions the vertebrae of the spine.
Bulging discs and back injuries can be caused by or made worse because of a preexisting condition due to an automobile accident.
Bulging discs are also known as a “contained” spinal disc injury because the bendable inner layer of a disc (nucleus pulposus) remains encased in the bony outer layer of a disc (annulus fibrosis). Bulging discs are caused by a variety of factors such as:
- Back injuries from car accidents
- Spinal bone spurs push out on a disc
- Collapsed space between vertebra
- Other degenerative conditions
A bulging disc, however, may not necessarily be a serious problem. Many affected individuals do not experience any symptoms or pain. However, our spinal cord injury attorneys in San Diego are aware that many individuals are affected by bulging discs following a car accident. After a car accident, for example, one may experience whiplash. Over time, however, the whiplash may actually hide a bulging disc injury. In some cases, it may take a skilled doctor to diagnose this type of injury properly.
A bulging disc may become additionally problematic when it begins to press against spinal column nerves. At this point, bulging discs can cause symptoms like numbness, tingling sensations, or pain.
BULGING DISC SYMPTOMS
Depending on its location on the spine, bulging disc symptoms can vary greatly. Some bulging discs will cause pain in your legs and feet, while other bulging discs will cause pain in your arms and other parts of the body. Some diagnostic tests can reveal a bulging disc such as an MRI, CAT scan, CT myelogram, discogram or X-ray. Your previous medical history can also help diagnose a bulging disc.
Typical bulging disc symptoms include:
- Arm or leg pain. If you have a herniated disc in your lower back, pain will be most evident in the buttocks, thighs, legs, calves or even sciatica. Some individuals with a herniated disc in the lower back may also report pain in the foot or lower leg area. Herniated discs within the upper neck area may result in shoulder and arm pain. Although dull pain may be constant, many affected people report shooting pain up and down the affect limb.
- Numbness, tingling, and loss of motor skills. A herniated disc can cause nerve damage that results in numbness or tingling in the arms, legs, fingers and toes. In some cases, loss of motor skills due to numbness or tingling may result for nerves that are damaged by the herniated disc.
- Weakness. Many people with a herniated disc report increased weakness in the extremities.
SAN DIEGO SPINAL CORD INJURY LAWYERS ON YOUR SIDE
You should not have to feel alone when battling insurance companies. You deserve financial compensation for your injuries if you are suffering from a bulging disc. Our top priority is to help you recover top financial compensation in a personal injury settlement with the least amount of overall hassle.
Since 1992, the San Diego spinal cord injury attorneys at Pines Salomon Injury Lawyers, APC have been assisting injured persons just like you recover the maximum financial compensation for their paralysis and spinal cord injuries.
We know the legal system can at times be tricky and hard to navigate. Let our decades of experience guide you through the process so you can focus on healing. If you or a loved one have been involved in an accident and suffered a spinal cord injury or paralysis, we urge you to contact our bilingual offices as soon as possible. Call us now at 1-858-551-2090 or click here for a FREE consultation with an experienced spinal cord injury attorney in San Diego.
We are dedicated and determined to help you obtain fair and just compensation so that you and your family can recover and move on to a bigger and brighter future.