You mistakenly move into a lane without checking to see if a car is in the next lane or passing a car without checking for oncoming traffic, and next thing you know, one of the top causes of car accidents has taken place.
How Do Unsafe Lane Changes Cause Car Accidents?Making an unsafe lane change can be as simple as you changing lanes without signaling or by starting to signal after you began the lane change. Our San Diego firm's car accident lawyers know it may also be that you changed into a lane where the following car was forced to brake in order to make room, or even brake too hard in order for the vehicle to maintain a safe following distance. Unsafe lane changes can occur when you make a lane change too quickly as a result of road conditions or the type of car being driven. The point is that unsafe lane changes cause car accidents that come with devastating aftermaths.
Preventing Unsafe Lane Changes For Causing Car AccidentsWhen operating a vehicle and using the car’s mirrors, it is also vital to look over to the left or right to make sure there is no one in your blind spot before making a lane change. Changing lanes can become even more challenging depending on road conditions such as traffic and weather. If you are drive a large automobile, then it might be a good idea to install proper blind proof mirrors so that lane changes can be done safely.
Examples Unsafe Lane Changes That Result In Car Accidents
- Changing lanes without making sure there are no cars next to you or any coming towards you if you are passing a car.
- Failing to signal before making a lane change.
- Driving in the middle of two lanes for an extended period of time.
Guideline To Avoiding Car Accidents By Merging Safely
- Always use your blinkers or turn signals.
- Only change one lane at a time.
- Never change lanes in an area where the lanes are separated by solid lines, only do so around dashed lines.
- Do not speed up to change lanes.
- Never cut anyone off while changing lanes.
- Don’t change lanes in an intersection, or too close before the intersection. Wait until you're thru the light and then change lanes.