Taking care of children entails more than just providing for their physical and spiritual growth. Caretakers must also be concerned about keeping kids safe, especially in these times where danger can appear in many forms and shapes.
Certainly, it has progressed beyond such classic warnings like “Don’t Talk to Strangers,” or “Don’t Get too far in the Deep End,” though they still have much currency in the world today, perhaps even more than at any other time.
Today, the challenge of keeping kids safe is much tougher and it can be hard for parents to think about the best ways to protect their children. Parents and children need to be informed about such safety issues like pool safety, kidnappings, vehicle safety, and eating safety. Furthermore, parents also need to know about keeping kids off drugs and infant safety.
General Safety Concerns
- SafeKidsUSA: An organization with information on multiple child safety subjects.
- Children's Safety Network: An organization devoted to keeping children safe.
- Child Safety on Airplanes: Talks about how to take care of children on planes.
- Consumer Reports: A place for information on safety recalls on children’s products.
- D.A.R.E.: Official site for the D.A.R.E. project designed to keep kids off drugs.
- McGruff Safe Kids: Official site for McGruff, a dog that teaches kids about crime and staying safe.
- Child Passenger Safety: Discusses passenger safety for children.
- Age Guidelines: Discusses when a child should be in a car seat, booster seat, etc.
- Protecting Kids In & Around Cars: Car safety from Safe Kids Worldwide.
Infant Safety Guidelines
- Infant Car Safety: Discusses important infant safety rules.
- Infant Safety: A look at some important infant safety measures parents should take.
- Baby Proofing Checklist: Discusses how to baby-proof a home.
- Food Safety Concerns: Shows why food can be dangerous to kids.
- Food Safety Education Resources for Families: Educational resources from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Swimming Pool Safety: Offers many pool safety tips.
- Safe Kids Worldwide Swimming Safety: General swimming safety tips.
- Spring and Summer Safety: Provides safety tips for all bodies of water.
- Unintentional Drowning Facts: Drowning facts & prevention tips from the CDC.
- National Safety Council Water Safety: Drowning resources from America’s leading nonprofit safety advocate.
- FBI Protecting Your Kids: Advice and information to help protect your children from dangers lurking in both the online and offline worlds.
- KidSmartz Personal Safety Program: Personal safety lessons for educators, parents & kids
- Code Adam: A resource to help businesses, parks, government buildings and other establishments ensure that they have safety protocols in place to respond quickly and effectively to situations involving a missing child.
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children: The nation's clearinghouse and comprehensive reporting center for all issues related to the prevention of and recovery from child victimization