In 2007 alone, more than 13,000 wrongful deaths were caused by drunk driving accidents. Despite that alarming number, car drivers continue to drink and drive. On that note, this checklist from our car accident lawyers has simple tips to help prevent you from drinking, driving and causing an auto accident.
1. Do not drink and drive.
- This is the easiest way to prevent drunk drivers from causing auto accidents.
- If you never drive under the influence of alcohol, you can guarantee that you will never cause a DUI car crash.
2. Know the risks of drunk driving.
- Personal Injury
- Financial Ruin (lost wages, medical bills and property damage)
- Legal Trouble (loss of license, fines, and jail time)
- Wrongful Death
3. Make arrangements for a designated driver before you go out.
- Aside from not drinking at all, this is the best defense against drunk driving.
4. Avoid binge drinking.
- Binge drinking is defined as drinking a high amount of alcohol in a short period of time.
- Binge drinking involves drinking five or more drinks, but alcohol may be more intoxicating for some than others.
- Binge drinking is very common among teens and young adults. These same adolescents may not know about alcohol’s effects on the body like diminished reflexes and decreased muscle coordination and are more apt to cause drunk driving car accidents.
5. Beware of sweet drinks.
- While they may not taste strong, there is often an equal or higher alcohol content (proof) in fruity mixed drinks.
- Fruity mixed drinks can have several different kinds of alcohol.
- Alcohol affects your body no matter how good or bad it tastes.
6. Take a taxi.
- Not every night is a planned drinking night, and you might find yourself on an island: stuck at the bar with only yourself to drive home. Thankfully, all bars can set you up with a cab ride home.
- While it may seem like a lot at the time, a $40 cab fare is nothing compared to what you could lose in a DUI car accident.
7. When in doubt, DO NOT DRIVE!
- If you ever have to question your ability to drive after a night out, do not do it.
- Call a cab or call a friend, but never drive under the influence of alcohol.
Call our San Diego law firm now at 1-858-551-2090 for a FREE consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer or click here to submit your case for a FREE online review. We have a large bilingual staff that can assist you in either English or Spanish.